Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Surrender

That was the word up for discussion at the prenatal yoga class I attended Monday night. I took the class while I was pregnant with Liam and couldn't wait to start again with this little one. In many ways the class was life altering for me the first time around; encouraging a deeper, more personal connection with my unborn child that I otherwise don't think I would have had, giving me the strength, confidence and desire to deliver my baby into this world naturally and the overwhelming sense of connectedness being surrounded by pregnant women striving to make the same healthy decisions for their families.

We discussed the presence of surrendering in each of our pregnancies, births and busy lives today. As I listened to each woman's response it became apparent to me that this is something I have learned to do. Surrendering my body, sleep and eating habits during each pregnancy, surrendering to the pains of labor and trusting my body knows what its doing and the daily surrendering of my time and energy to care for Dan and the boys. It is a balancing act when you become a mother; balancing the time you need to still remain true to yourself and the time your children need for guidance, love and teaching. It has been truly satisfying to see how far I've come in learning this lesson but I anticipate much more change and adjusting when the new baby joins our family.

At the end of the day, it's all worth it when your children kiss you good night.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Very well said. Your words brought a tear to my eye.

Julie and Paul said...

Wise words from a great friend who's been where I'm heading.